Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Content or Community? Both?

After considering the actual format of today's top websites like youtube.com, travelocity, weather channel, and many others like twitter, and even google which used to be only a content web site, nowadays allow us to have communities through some tools like Blogger and Gmail chat so people can keep in touch with some others.

It seems that some kind of trend have been imposing this mixture within popular web sites trying to keep as complete as possible so the users can find everything they would like and even more in one website. However, isn't it kind of over saturating already that every and each one of the websites nowadays want to create communities and include content? How many of us already belong to more than three different web communities? How many of them do we really follow on a daily basis?

We can take a look to the example of travelocity which is a travel booking web site and used to be basically a content web page, and nowadays people sign in to make comments and read some others about personal experiences, is it really important for us to compare our experiences with the others', or is it really more important for that company to have a lot of people making good comments about their vacations and travels in order to encourage other potential customers to book their next vacations with them... but does it really means that there are not customers with bad feedback out there? Isn't it some kind of a manipulated advertisement? How do we know they are not covering those negative posts and highlighting the positives?

In the end, how important is it that our favorite web sites include content and community format in order to keep us logged on more time, or to attract new users from our contacts and relatives?

Whatever the content is... at least for me.. each web site has its main function, so when I want to search for some content I'll look for content web sites, and when it comes down to communities and sharing with contacts I'll keep my browser in places such as Facebook and everything seems more easy for me that way.

1 comment:

  1. Thats what im talking about! Personally, I do not like to interact in community based or social based networks online. But, if I were to join one I would like it seperated from the content based websites. If i were to open a profile in all the websites I visit daily I would go crazy and not only that my profile and personal information even personal taste would be vulnerable and exposed to the online community in places i dont even know off. So definatly not for my taste and many other people like me.

    ReplyDelete